The Polygon Network, formerly known every bit Matic, is a scaling solution for Ethereum that is rapidly gaining adoption past DeFi platforms including Aave and Sushi. Pop for its rapid transactions and near-nada gas fees, a flood of protocols and users alike are making the switch.
Step-past-Step Polygon DeFi Guide
This tutorial assumes you already apply the MetaMask wallet for Ethereum. If yous don’t already have MetaMask, you will need to
download information technology for your browser or mobile device
1. Set Up the Polygon RPC
Since Polygon (formerly Matic) is a different network, you volition demand to fix up what we call a “Custom RPC”. It’south less complicated than it sounds, and then hang in there!
- Open MetaMask and click the network dropdown menu, which is located at the top of the window. This will say “Ethereum Mainnet” by default.
- Click “Custom RPC” and enter the details as seen in the screenshot below. We’ve too included a plain text version of the details below the screenshot so yous can simply copy and paste.
New RPC URL:
Currency Symbol (optional):
Cake Explorer URL (optional):
- Click “save”. Y’all’re now connected to the Polygon network!
Now you’re costless to connect to DApps on Polygon – but starting time, you lot’ll demand to send some tokens over to the network.
ii. Moving Assets from Ethereum
You may own some avails on Ethereum that you want to move onto Polygon, rather than having to purchase them there. This is dainty and easy to do, thanks to the PoS bridge. If you don’t have any Ethereum-based assets already, we recommend ownership Polygon’due south native MATIC tokens on an exchange – you tin can swap MATIC for any tokens you lot demand on Polygon. Acquit in listen that
you lot’ll need a non-zero amount of MATIC to pay for gas fees
Once you have your Ethereum assets ready to move to Polygon, hither’s how to use the bridge:
Get to the Polygon/Matic spider web wallet at
. Make certain your MetaMask network is set to “Ethereum Mainnet” in the dropdown menu, then connect to the wallet.
- If the wallet doesn’t take you to the span immediately, click on “Move funds to Matic Mainnet”.
- Select the asset and the quantity that you wish to motion to Polygon.
- Click “keep” and confirm the transaction. Transferring assets via the PoS bridge will take about seven-8 minutes, and Ethereum gas fees volition apply.The progress of your transaction will be shown in the adjacent window.
- One time consummate, yous volition see the balance updated on the web wallet main page.
If yous transfer tokens via the bridge simply don’t own any MATIC for gas, try out
. The faucet volition send you 0.001 MATIC for gratis to fund your offset transaction.
Now you’re ready to start using DApps on Polygon!
3. Use a Polygon DApp
There is a growing number of DApps on Polygon, including several major protocols which originated on Ethereum. Simply switch to the Polygon network within your MetaMask wallet and connect to the DApp like you would on the Ethereum network.
Here are a few links to get you started:
, the “Uniswap” of the Polygon network
– lending markets and more, besides on Ethereum
– decentralized substitution, leverage and more, also on Ethereum
Go along Up With Polygon
To stay up to date with all the latest news and releases for Polygon, you lot tin can follow them on Twitter, or join their official Telegram channel. For more detailed data, cheque out their Medium and GitHub.