Network equipment buying tips
Purchasing network cards and accessories for a network, for many, is a confusing and frustrating task. Below we have listed recommendations and considerations to look at when purchasing a network card or accessories for a network.
When purchasing a network card, look at the available connections that card allows. Today, this is not as important as it has been in the by as today many networks are only using RJ-45. If your network utilizes a different interface, such as coax, verify the card y’all are planning on purchasing has this connection.
Connection speed is an important consideration when looking at purchasing a network menu. Today, the majority of networks and cards are found in 10 Base or 100 Base, 100 Base being the faster of the ii solutions. While slightly more expensive it is recommended that all users looking to buy a network carte du jour buy 100 Base network cards as these cards, if needed, can be switched down to ten Base.
The interface that the carte connects to is also an important consideration. Below is a listing of the 3 available interfaces.
– The recommended solution for desktop computers equally it is a faster solution when compared to ISA. However, this is a slightly more expensive solution when compared to ISA.
– Solution institute with 10 Base network cards, ISA cards are a cheaper solution only tin be a much slower solution when compared to PCI.
– Solution used with laptop computers, PCMCIA cards are the only solution for laptop computers. When looking to buy a PCMCIA card, information technology is important to look at the following:
- Connectedness – By far the most important consideration; when looking at PCMCIA cards, expect at the connection and if any boosted cables are required to connect the network menu to the Network. These additional cables can become lost and sometimes damaged. The alternatives to additional cables are cards that contain the actual connection on the card.
- Slots used – Verify the bill of fare beingness used utilizes type II connectedness. If the card utilizes a type III connectedness, verify that the other cards likewise the network can be inserted.
When purchasing a network carte du jour a network cable is not included, unless y’all purchase a network kit. Therefore, information technology is important to also verify if the network menu includes a network cablevision, and if information technology does not include a cable, wait into purchasing a network cable with your network carte. The below information is what to look for when purchasing a network cable.
- Verify that you purchase the right cable. Today, the well-nigh common network cables are Ethernet and Coax. If your network carte has an RJ-45 connectedness, you want an Ethernet cable; and if your card has a BNC connector, you want a Coax cable.
- If you lot are planning on only connecting two computers together, y’all may want to consider purchasing a crossover cable that is different from a standard network cable. This cable allows the computers to be connected without the demand of a network hub.
- If you are planning on connecting to a large network, you need to buy a standard network cable. Additionally, if you are planning on setting upwardly a network with two or more than computers, you as well need to purchase a network hub or switch.
Network hubs are a stand up alone hardware device that allow for several computers to exist connected to a large or pocket-size network of computers. Network hubs are merely required if you plan on setting up a network of 2 or more computers. If yous plan on using your calculator and network menu to play network games, a hub may just exist required if you lot programme on hosting that network political party. When looking at purchasing a hub, it is important to look at the following.
- Come across if the amount of ports on that hub are sufficient for your needs.
- Verify that the hub is an automobile sensing hub. This ways that the hub can detect if the network is running at ten or 100 base and switch to that appropriate speed. It is important to know that a hub only connects to a network running at the same speed.
- Verify that the hub has LED (lights) status indicators. LEDs to await for are the connection LED lights to bespeak what speed a computer connected to that network may be, if the hub is experiencing activity, and standoff LEDs to run into if the network is experiencing a severe amount of collisions.
Other important considerations to look for when purchasing network equipment include:
– How long is the warranty and what does it cover.
– Is the technical support number a complimentary number; is information technology open 24 hours, 7 days a calendar week.
Network equipment prices can be very broad in prices because of the quality or features that item device may include. We take a general list of the major network equipment; however, this is not a complete listing and prices tin can very probable exceed the prices stated below, sometimes past several m dollars.
$20 to $200
$1.00 to $80
Network home Hub:
$40 to $200
Network home Switch:
$90 to $2000
Network dwelling house Router:
$100 to $2000
Ready to purchase
Once you are set up to make a purchase of a calculator network device make sure yous are ownership from a reputable source.
Computer Hope is ready to setup and assistance you with issues you may see during the purchase and installation of your network, regardless if you buy through us or some other vendor.
To help back up Computer Hope you tin purchase directly through our well-known associate, Amazon. Click the below browse push to begin browsing through the network department.
Network menu installation
Boosted help and information near installing a estimator network card and other computer hardware can exist establish through our Installation section.